We’re already a month into the college football season. It’s hard to believe we’ve already had four weeks of action, but time flies when you are having a good time! I wanted to take a look at five teams that are overrated right now. As usual, I will look at these teams relative valuation by the oddsmakers. These are five times I believe the oddsmakers are too high on right now.
1. Penn State- The Nittany Lions haven’t covered a spread yet this year. I have successfully faded the Nittany Lions two times this season. It won’t get any easier for Penn State after they lost their best defensive player (Michael Mauti) to a torn ACL this past weekend. This isn’t a bad team, but they just aren’t as good as the oddsmakers are giving them credit for being at this point.
2. Hawaii- This isn’t the same Hawaii team we’ve seen the past few years. The fact that they lost 40-20 to a terrible UNLV team earlier this year told me all I needed to know. Hawaii badly misses their star wide receivers that graduated at the end of last season.
3. Auburn- Auburn only has a few returning starters from last year’s title team. Quite frankly this Auburn team simply isn’t that great this season. They are nothing better than a middle of the road SEC team, and they are getting too much respect from the books.
4. USC- Lane Kiffin’s team has a ton of talent, but they don’t seem to have a lot of poise in key situations. The Utah cover was a fluke, and the Trojans poor finish against Arizona State last weekend was a bad sign for this team.
5. Troy- The Sun Belt’s dominant team from the last few years has slipped a bit this season. Troy is still one of the best teams in the league, but their games are being lined as if they are still easily the best team in the league. At this point, that isn’t the case.